Sunday, October 4, 2009

Tower of Terror

Every October, The Tower theater, owned and operated by the Salt Lake Film Society, screens classic horror films at midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.

This past Friday I had my first experience at the Tower of Terror when I showed up bright eyed and bushy tailed for my virginal viewing of The Shining on the silver screen.

It may shock you to hear that I've never seen The Shining proper at a movie theater, but it's true. In fact, the only way I've ever seen it is on the TV during Halloween when I was a bit younger. The problem with that is they always take out the good stuff, so I've never gotten to see exactly why the movie is so scary and disturbing. No doubt is left in my mind.

Even though I've seen the movie several times, my viewing at The Tower left me on the edge of my seat.

I do have to admit, however, that the beginning of the movie is possibly one of the funniest starts to a very serious horror movie I've ever seen. Probably inadvertently. Also, thank you Kevin Smith. I can't hear the opening of The Shining without thinking of Listerfiend and Pillowpants. When Danny said that Tony was the little boy who lived in his mouth I just about lost it.

If you haven't seen The Shining at a theater and you live in SLC, tough luck. The last screening of the weekend is today at noon.


However, it is not too late for you to experience The Tower of Terror. The schedule for the remainder of October is as follows:

Weekend of 10/9:
The Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn

Weekend of 10/16
Zombiefest! (movies as yet to be named
but more than likely including
Shaun of The Dead)

Monday, 10/19
An October Evening
locally made Halloween
themed films, art and music.

Weekend of 10/23
The Exorcist

Weekend of 10/30
The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Be there or be square. And by square I mean dead.

1 comment: